A few days ago, Nintendo held a special Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct presentation where it announced new characters, stages, modes and more importantly, the company provided a release date for both versions of the fighting game. Below, you’ll find all major announcements in the form of a list.
- Release Info: the 3DS version is coming in summer and the Wii U version is coming in winter.
- Technical Specifications: the 3DS version of the game will run at 60 fps even in 3D.
- Differences between Versions: while both games will share the same roster, stages will be slightly different. Also, while the 3DS version has two musical pieces associated with a specific stage, the Wii U version features music from previous games in the series. Connecting both versions will be possible, but we’ll have to wait some time to hear more details about this functionality.
- Stages: some stages for the 3DS version were shown, including 3D Land, Spirit Train, Balloon Fight and Rainbow Road, among many others. The Wii U version has the following stages: Mario Galaxy, Windy Hill, Garden of Hope, Wii Fit Studio, Pilot Wings, Skyloft and many others.
- Online Play: both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Super Smash Bros. will feature online multiplayer. Players will be able to participate in matches with either friends or complete strangers. Also, there will be two new modes: For Fun and For Glory. As their name suggest, the former is for casual players and the latter is for players who play more seriously. There’s a new ranking system as well.
- Items: new items include beam sword, motion sensor bomb, POW power, steel diver and more. There are some items related to Pokémon, such as the master ball which let’s you use new monsters (Arceous, Eevee, Staryou and Entei, among others.)
- Returning Fighters: Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Kirby, Zelda, Sheik, Dedede, Lucario, Pikmin & Olimar, Pit and Yoshi.
- New Characters: Nintendo showed Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer (there will be two trainers: a male and a female.) Additionally, the company announced Charizard and Greninja.
- Exclusive 3DS Mode: Smash Run is a dungeon-like stage where up to four players can participate. Players explore, fight enemies and receive items in separate stages . After five minutes of exploring that dungeon the players participate in a showdown.