Before Battlefield 3 came out, Electronic Arts had confirmed that they were going to give all those players who bought the PlayStation 3 version of the game a free copy of Battlefield 1943. That was back in June, but for some unknown reason the company decided to cancel the offer on the day they launched their latest first-person shooter. As a consequence of their actions and according to several reports, EA has been sued for this “fake” promotion.
Now, EA has stated that they were misunderstood and that they are going to be offering the bonus to all those players who bought a copy of the PS3 version of Battlefield 3. The free title will be available in Europe on November 26, Americans will have to wait a while longer as the game will be available on December 10 and in Asia the free title can be downloaded on December 17.
It’s worth pointing out that the game is not going to be affected by the one-week exclusivity deal that was first announced and will be available through the PlayStation Network digital service on the aforementioned dates. For more information about how to get the game visit Electronic Art’s help page.
Finally, here’s the official announcement taken directly from that site:
There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3. To address this we are making Battlefield 1943 available free of charge to owners of Battlefield 3 on the PS3 beginning this month.
Battlefield 1943 PlayStation 3 vouchers will be available on the following dates via the 1943redemption.battlefield.com portal:
- November 26th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony Europe.
- December 10th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony America.
- December 17th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan.
To download your copy of Battlefield 1943 for the PlayStation 3 please follow the easy steps below.
- Activate your Battlefield 3 Online Pass for the PlayStation 3 using the voucher included in the game (see step #5 for additional instructions).
- Visit 1943redemption.battlefield.com on or after the dates outlined above for your region and log in with your Origin ID and password. Click here if you need help with retrieving your account information.
- Select your territory. Note vouchers do not work across regions.
- You will then receive a PlayStation 3 voucher for Battlefield 1943.
- input your voucher into the PlayStation Network store. Instructions below.
- From the XMB (cross media-bar) of the PlayStation 3 connected to a network, choose [account management] under the [PlayStation Network].
- From the menu select redeem codes.
- Enter voucher and select continue.
- Download Battlefield 1943.