2011 was a great year for the video game industry as many great games came out and there were multiple services for download them legally (including Steam, Good Old Games, Origin, the Humble Indie Bundle and so on.) Still, many people chose to get pirated versions of their favorite titles and as a consequence, some developers and publishers decided to include DRM policies or simply reward those people who buy their games, but unfortunately, this wasn’t enough to combat piracy.
TorrentFreak recently made top 5 lists of some of the most pirated games of 2011 for platforms like the PC, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. It should be noted that the PlayStation 3 doesn’t have a list of its own because it has been reported that the console had considerably less downloads when compared to all the other platforms, indicating that Sony has made it difficult for PS3 owners to make modifications. Of course this involved a very aggressive campaign on the company’s part and also, PlayStation 3 games are quite large. Additionally, and even though most torrent sites have stated that video games were not part of the top 50 list of most downloadable things, these numbers are just staggering.
Top 5 Pirated PC Games
1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000) (March 2011)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000) (Nov. 2011)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000) (Oct. 2011)
4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000) (Sept. 2011)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000) (April 2011)
Back in February, a leaked version of Crysis 2 appeared on the internet and many people got it, but it wasn’t until the full version of the game became available on torrent sites that the illegal copy was downloaded millions of times. It’s also quite surprising that Crysis 2 managed to beat popular games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3. Moreover, PC games were the most downloaded, with around three times the number of downloads on the Xbox 360 and Wii.
Top 5 Pirated Wii Games
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000) (May 2010)
2. Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000) (Feb. 2011)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000) (Aug. 2011 EU)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000) (May 2011)
5. FIFA 12 (860,000) (Sept. 2011)
On the Nintendo Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which originally came out in 2010) was the most downloaded title and this reveals the lack of new titles on the console.
Top 5 Pirated Xbox 360 Games
1. Gears of War 3 (890,000) (Sept. 2011)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000) (Nov. 2011)
3. Battlefield 3 (760,000) (Oct. 2011)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000) (Oct. 2011)
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000) (Oct. 2011)}
On the Xbox 360, Gears of War 3 was the most pirated game above popular first-person shooters such as Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.